maandag 10 februari 2014

Yasmine Galenorn – Crimson Veil

Book 15 in the Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon series, published January 28, 2014.
Genre: urban fantasy
Cover: strong, I love it

Crimson Veil photo n440561_zps5f2dddda.jpg

We're the D'Artigo sisters: savvy half-human, half-Fae ex-operatives for the Otherworld Intelligence Agency. My sister Camille is a wicked good witch with three gorgeous husbands. Delilah is a two-faced werecat and a Death Maiden. And me? I'm Menolly, a vampire married to a scorching hot werepuma. And right now, we're facing enemies on all sides...
It's been a long and devastating week. Back in Otherworld, war has decimated the elfin city of Elqaneve, our father has gone missing, and Shadow Wing has managed to obtain another spirit seal. On the home front, somebody burned down my bar, the Wayfarer, killing eight people, including a friend.
To make matters worse, we still haven't found a way to stop Lowestar Radcliff - the daemon in charge of a supernatural corporate power grab. He's attempting to awaken Suvika, the lord of vice and corrupt businessmen, and we have to stop him. Our enemies are closing in on all sides, and this time, there's no place to hide...


Book 15 already, and this series is still going strong. There is little rest for the three sisters and their spouses and friends. The war in Otherworld is not going well, their father’s body has been found in Elqaneve, and brought back to them Earthside.
Shadow Wing, from the Demon Realm, now has three of the Spirit Seals, they have four and two are still missing. If he gets his claws on more, he will tear the realms apart and destroy everything.

Menolly is still dealing with the destruction of her bar, the Wayfarer and all the people who died in there. Her vampire consort, Roman, is helping her find out how many vampires potentially died in there as well, as there would be nothing left of them. And now another vampire night club is getting the same threats Menolly received, and when it is torched, Menolly, Camille and Delilah will do their best to find out who is behind it and how to stop them. Of course they already suspect Lowestar Radcliff for wanting to take over all the supernatural business in Seattle, but they need more information before they can act upon it.

When they encounter some burning kind of Fae, only Iris and her ice magic can stop them. Someone has been summoning them to destroy the club and if they get loose in the city, they could possibly set the whole town ablaze!

And then there is their newfound human cousin Daniel, who invites himself to dinner and who knows way too much about all of them and their mission. He offers his services if they need it. He used to belong to some kind of secret spy organisation, and is now using his special skills, well, not for good. They are not sure they can trust him, (neither am I), but he might come in handy when they are breaking and entering …

The sisters also still have to deal with the missing Fae, who have been abducted after using a dating site, and Tanne Baum, boyfriend of Violet, has finally been able to hold a ritual telling him where she is. They are not happy to have to go into Underground Seattle again, but they will put a stop to this slavery ring and free Violet and the others. Fighting Hellhounds and guards with whips is not easy, but they manage, and Menolly finds out that biting a Hellhound to suck his blood is not a good idea.


There is a lot of action in this book, but there is also time for them to have their Samhain ritual and say goodbye to their father and the other friends they recently have lost.
This book has Menolly as its focus, and she has to work through some personal relationship troubles. Roman has fallen in love with her, even though she has warned him not to. She loves her wife, Nerissa, but she will have to open herself up more if she wants this relationship to work beyond the sexual bond.

Delilah meets her lover’s sister, who has come to scout her out on behalf of the family. As Shade has asked her to dress up, which she never does, she is extremely nervous. What if his sister doesn’t like her? Will his family come between them? The Autumn Lord himself has brought them together …

Cousin Shamas is still pining after Camille, but she will never love him back. He betrayed her as children, and especially when he became a sorcerer and fought against her Moongoddess and her Order. Camille is happy with her three husbands, she won’t need him. And so Shamas decides to go back to Otherwold and help fight in the war.

The Dragons have decided to help them out, and hide the Knights who are wearing the spirit seals. No one will be able to get them from the Dragon Reaches.


I enjoy this series very much, although it is darker than I usually read, and it has a lot of sex. I do skip the lesbian scenes, but Yasmine Galenorn has a way with words that makes me read and enjoy the rest. Sometimes it really seams as if the sisters never get a break, only bad things are happening around them, but sometimes they do get lucky and they make time to enjoy some of the more important things in their lives. I like that. They are not invincible, their lifepartners are standing behind them, don’t try to stop them or protect them, they all fight together.

It is a good series, but I do recommend you read it in order to see how it all builds up. Every book has another sister as its focal point, its voice, and I like that. Although Camille is my favourite, I enjoy learning more about her moon magic.

8 stars.



Autobuy author

Buy This Book from Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

© 2014 Reviews by Aurian


15 opmerkingen:

  1. I've been tempted several times to read this series but there are just so many installments! It'll take me f-o-r-e-v-e-r to catch-up! Plus, after meeting Yasmine Galenorn at RT, I think she might be a little too "out there" for me. Glad to hear you're enjoyed her books though, great review!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. She has totally her own writing style Carmel, and I happen to love it. There are a lot of characters, and really hot love scenes, and not all m-f.

      Verwijderen
  2. Reacties
    1. I love that she writes three books a year in this series Blodeuedd :)

      Verwijderen
  3. It is not always easy to keep up with so many characters, but if you read in order, they will grow on you. Especially the baby gargoyle!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. I've been wanting to get into this series for a while now. I like that she can go darker too.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Yes, her other series is too dark for me, I can't handle that Melissa.

      Verwijderen
  5. You tempt me with these books that are already on #10 gads..and it sounds so awesome

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Yasmine Galenorn is an amazing author with a unique writing voice.

      Verwijderen
  6. Oh I haven't read this one yet but you know my problems with this series... don't know why but it's always difficult for me to relate with the character but as I know my nice publicist she'll keep sending the books. I'm glad it was a good one though.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. You did like the previous one I thought Melliane, so I hope you will like this one too.

      Verwijderen
  7. You do make them sound very interesting. Maybe one day I'll stop at your "library" and glom the whole series. I'm a big fan of glomming. TV series or books, a nice weekend filled with a series of good stories that get to me, that's a great weekend!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Hmm I think you like paranormal romance more than this kind of UF.

      Verwijderen
  8. Oh I have a couple of yall now who love this series. I can't believe I haven't tried it yet.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen