zaterdag 25 oktober 2014

Recommendations from Karin for October 2014.

In order to bring some more variety to my blog, I have asked some of my bookish friends to tell about the books they have in the past month, and to give us a recommendation. Today’s post is made by Karin from Austria.

Karin:

I have read 23 new books this month. Impressive, isn’t it? But it’s all due to the fact that I was really sick and it took me a long time to recover so that I found I had a lot of reading time at hand. And admittedly quite a few of the books were very short. One would better call them novellas. Anyway the ones I would recommend most are:

1. Lindsay Buroker – Torrent

 photo w492140_zpsaf1a344a.jpg

2. Elizabeth Hunter – The Scribe

 photo w484165_zps5b75bce7.jpg

3. Elizabeth Hunter – The Singer

 photo w517310_zps60e26223.jpg

Lindsay Buroker – Torrent

 photo w492140_zpsc3467093.jpg

When Delia chose to major in archaeology, she imagined herself as the female Indiana Jones of the Southwest. She didn't imagine herself crawling through abandoned mine shafts, scrounging for rusty pickaxes and gold pans to sell on auction sites, but Indiana Jones didn't have to make student loan payments.
Scouring the mountains of Arizona with Simon, her best friend and computer geek extraordinaire, Delia dreams of turning their scavenging enterprise into a legitimate business. More, she longs to earn the respect of peers who shun her for turning into a treasure hunter. What she doesn't dream of is stumbling across a decapitated body in an old mine near Prescott.
Something dangerous has come to the mountains, and a pair of Harley-riding strangers are the only ones who seem to have a clue. They speak a language Delia has never heard and carry mysterious artifacts she's never seen. Investigating these strangers might lead her to discoveries that change the face of archaeology forever... or it might lead her and her best friend into a deadly monster's lair.


Linday Buroker’s book is a YA novel I’m afraid to say. But I also have to say that I greatly enjoyed this adventurous ride. There is action (some of it a little ridiculous to tell the truth) on every other page. I got caught up in the adventures around these three young people, the aliens, who may be aliens or elves – the jury is still out on the verdict – from the first page. There is a follow – up called “Thorn Falls” and it was just as enjoyable. I find I’m eagerly waiting for the next instalment.

I also would like to recommend the two books by Elizabeth Hunter. She impressed me with the “Elemental World” books which I believe I have recommended already. Now these two books offer a completely new world, a unique sight of something other. The first book ends with a terrible cliff hanger, but I was able to purchase the second book immediately. It continues this story nicely and it doesn’t end on such a cliff hanger. But I also thought it was not really as good as the first one.
I think that sometimes happens when the first book in a new series really breaks the ground. You find that you need to know how the story continues and then you find out that you know this new world already and you would like a little more action, or you want to see more of beloved characters which the author neglects in the next book.

I bought a few Kindle collections of books for € 0,89 to € 0,99. Although this time I purchased some books which I actually did not finish, I still got some winners out of them. So I would like to bring your attention to such a compilation called “Nine by Night”. I did not like all nine books but for such a price one won’t complain if not every book is freaking good. I don’t know how many of you read electronic books but I found out that I enjoy these collections as once in a while I pick out a real winner.

So this is it for this month. I wish you all a happy reading time!


Aurian: Thanks for the recommendation Karin! You sure read a lot, I hope I will manage to get back up to speed soon myself. Collections are indeed a great and cheap way to discover many new authors, but I confess I still prefer to read my paper books.




© 2014 Reviews by Aurian


13 opmerkingen:

  1. Sounds good, I hadn't heard of any of these :D

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Great review, I don't know any of the writers.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. I have heard of the first one before Peggy, but not read her.

      Verwijderen
  3. The Hunter books sound good. I love a different locale and I've never read a book that is located in Istanbul.
    I also have bought several kindle anthologies for about a dollar. I alway know at least one writer and it's a great way to sample the other writers' style. And maybe discover some new great authors!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. I love Hunter, but I agree - second book was quieter than the first especially after that cliffhunger! :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Thanks for visiting Karina! How is the weather in Portugal?

      Verwijderen