donderdag 25 februari 2016

Recommendations from Karin for February 2016.

In order to bring some more variety to my blog, I have asked some of my bookish friends to tell about the books they have in the past month, and to give us a recommendation. Today’s post is made by Karin from Austria.

Karin:

I have read a few of the bundle books this month and unfortunately I have to say I was quite disappointed with them. So I tried my comfort reads – books I have enjoyed immensely and re-read every now and then.
And then I lucked out. When browsing Amazon I stumbled across a series of books which sounded promising. I’m talking about

I bring the Fire by C. Gockel

 photo 18140254_zpsaa75kgtw.jpg

I’m not very familiar with the Norse mythology (I’m better acquainted with the Greek and Roman Gods) but I knew that Loki was supposed to be the villain in most of the stories I vaguely remember.
The first book was free and I thought it might be okay just to browse through and get an idea if I’d like the series or not. It also took me some time to get used to the writing style – the story is written in Present Tense. I think I lasted for about 15 pages and then I knew I was hooked. Very rarely have I read a book where the hero is a villain and still manages to grab my heart, to have my fingers crossed that somehow everything will work out for him – just for once. In one sentence: Ms. Gockel managed to endear Loki (the liar, the Mischief Maker,…) to me to an extent that I’m still hoping something good will await him in the end (I’m in the middle of the third book, but I fear for Loki, I greatly fear for him!!)

The heroine – Amy Lewis – is a lovely young person who cares deeply for her grandmother (oh, and Loki, of course!!), and her really very ugly dog, Fenrir. She studies to be a veterinarian - so it’s clear: she is the ideal heroine.

The supporting characters are simply great, I like each and every one of the good guys and girls, I loathe the idiots – in short, Ms Gockel grabbed my attention and I think she won’t let go of it until I finish the series.

Reading order:
I bring the Fire – Wolves
I bring the Fire Monsters
I bring the Fire Chaos
I bring the Fire In the Balance (short story)
I bring the Fire Fates
I bring the Fire The Slip (short story)
I bring the Fire Warriors
I bring the Fire Ragnarok

I highly recommend this series although I’m only in the middle of book three. But perhaps you want to give it a try and download the first book. Just read and see!

I also want to draw your attention to a new series I discovered the other day. It’s

Dead Eye (a Tiger’s Eye Mystery) by Alyssa Day

 photo 51MPwZAFp6L.SX316_zpsqisku7rw.jpg

Perhaps you know this author from her “Warriors of Atlantis” series. She wrote a spin-off with the huge tiger-shifter Jack Shepherd. I liked his character a lot in the afore mentioned series and I had high hopes for this book. It’s so good that I will buy the second in the series as well, but to tell the truth I would have liked more action from the ferocious tiger than I got.

This may be due to the book being written in the first person (not really a favourite of mine) but I still liked it enough to purchase the second book which will hopefully be published in April.

So, I think this is it for this month. Until we meet again next month: Happy Reading!

Karin photo Karin 2_zps9oybhsee.png

Aurian: Thanks for the recommendation Karin! I do love Alyssa Day's Warriors of Atlantis series, and this spin off is on my TBR. I do look forward to reading it.




© 2016 Reviews by Aurian




5 opmerkingen:

  1. Thanks for the recommendations and I love your little poodle!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Thank you. She passed away almost two years ago, but she is still in my heart!

      Verwijderen
  2. I love free books and I like the sound of falling for the villain in a story. So I will look it up. Thanks for sharing, Karin!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen